Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Scamps Kibbles and Bits


Kibbles and Bits
 
Yesterday I had to follow up visit to the vet for our latest rescue pup, for the removal of his stitches, after having his kibbles and bits removed. Having left work early, I did my grocery shopping, hit tractor supply up for feed (with my 10% off coupon) and picked up a bale of hay and trying to get as much done as possible in one day.

Arriving home I run in and try to grab a leash without the dogs noticing, I failed miserably. Pumpkin and Max are beyond excited; the leash means someone goes for a ride. They all think they will be the one going for the ride, even if the leash is clipped onto the Scamps collar. Everybody heads for the front door, making it literally impossible to open the door and get one dog out. Time for trickery; running to the other side of the house calling all three dogs, hopefully I can get Pump and Max to follow. Then I can shut the doors to that side, run back to the front door with the pup and escape before the two can run out one dog door and get back in using the other dog door. There are dog doors on each side of the back of the house.

So it begins: Run, run, run, bark, bark and I only accomplish to lock out Pumpkin, run, run back and to try to get out with Scamp, without letting Maxi out and I failed again.  

Maxi took full advantage, ran over the top of both Scamp and I, he is frolicking happily around the street. Scamp becomes frantic; he wants to run with his Maxi, not happening. I’m holding the leash while trying to get Scamp to the passenger side door and stuff him in. Picking him up in the muddy driveway I stuff the squirming, barking, whining dog into the Volvo. Yes the good car, leather seats, wood trim now accented with mud and dog saliva and lots of mud.

Stupidly I think I’m doing well, I have the dog in the car and the keys in my pocket; last time I didn’t and had to fight my way back into the house and out. At this point Maxi thinks he might want to go for a ride, runs back to the car and begs to be let in. Once again I’m stupid, opening up the car door for my good boy Maxi who at the last minute runs the other way. Not missing a beat, the pup leaps out of the car, luckily I grab the leash. Scamp is beyond frantic at this point wanting to run with his Maxi; once again I have to wrestle the little beast into the car, mud, saliva, whining, I jump in at the same time. 

Maxie does a lap past the car, Scamp is leaping from seat to seat, dash board, licking and biting the windows. I’m starting to pant myself, starting up the car while trying to calm down Scamp who is inconsolable. He heads for the back of the car, squeezing himself between the passenger seat/head rest and the window, ending up stuck. Maxi is now heading up the road; Scamp can see him running away and jams himself even more between the seat and window. Grabbing his back legs I try to lift and yank him back to the front seat, which was successful.  

Immediately I turn the car around, head up the road, catching up to Max. Max has a big doggie smile, tongue hanging out running next to the car. I do live on a dead end; this is not as dangerous as it sounds.

Scamp goes ballistic, proceeding to climb over my head, slipping down between the head rest and the window on the driver side, becoming stuck again. Driving past my neighbor who looked at me very confused, I then boost his butt into the back of the car and onto the groceries. After doing a few five or six laps around the back of the car, he decides to crawl on top of the hay bale settling in for a nice ride to the vet.

Slowly I’m trying to access in my mind the damage done; one white shirt trashed, front of car and windows muddy, groceries a little trampled, howling dog still in car, my sanity gone.
 
Luckily the vet is very close, it is a quick trip. We arrive, Scamp who seems to have recovered from missing a frolic with Max happily goes into the vet office. I on the other hand not such a graceful recovery; as he runs behind the counter to greet everyone, I drop the leash and ask them to please take the little f***er. They of course are all laughing at me; take the boy into a room to remove his stiches.
 
Not two minutes later out come a tech to announce he does not have any stiches, the vet had used dissolvable stitches and that I did not need to bring him there.

No comments:

Post a Comment