Thursday, February 17, 2011


Coco
My little Coco is at it again. That black, frizzle bantam has more personality then most people I know. Crap, I'm sure that comment will irritate someone, I'm always in trouble. Well its true, that little hen has quite the attitude. As you know Coco has been spending the cold winter evenings on the sun porch for the over nights. When the days are to cold for her to tolerate it outside, she will then spend the day inside. Coco's feathers are Frizzled, which is very beautiful to look at but not practical to keep a girl warm. All her black luxurious feathers curl backwards giving her the appearance of a walking fluff ball chick with a feather boa. She is bred to perfection and knows it. After all Coco is a show girl, or she seems to think she is.

Lately Coco has decided that she too can live inside our house. Spending days sunbathing on the porch, beating up the other chicks with colds; but this has become mundane to her. It all started about two weeks ago. I arrived home from work and go to check on the sick chicks on the porch. Everyone is happy to see me, I'm the treat lady. I'm doing my check of every one, suddenly I notice Coco is missing. This puts me into a panic. Did a cat decide that tiny bantam would be tasty? Did Pumpkin get to playful and suck all the feathers off poor Coco? Frantically I start searching the porch, then my work kitchen, that’s when I notice a mini chicken poop and a black curly feather in my living room floor. OMG, I figured Pump took her out for a spin and lick in the yard. Calling for Coco, watching Pumpkins for signs of guilt, I'm frantically keep searching the room.

That’s when I hear this little burble answering me. I call out for Coco; again there is a tiny burble, bah bah br. There behind an antique wooden box sat Coco. The little bundle of feathers looks up at me, burbles, stands up, hopped onto the box, down the other side, marching back out to the sun porch, leaving behind two tiny eggs. That little stinker has been sneaking through the porch doorway and laying eggs in my living room! For two days!

That black crazy fuzz ball has been watching the dogs and cats squeezing through the doorway and decided try it. I'm just amazed no one chased her, ate her or her two tiny eggs. This is her second time over wintering in the porch but jeeze? Laying eggs in my living room? Doesn't every one have a chicken running around their living room?

Now when I arrive home from work, I just look for the tiny Coco poo poo trail to see if I need to pick eggs in the house along with the outdoor eggs. Coco has picked her spot and it's behind a box, in my living room, sigh. Even on the days she goes outside, who wants to lay an egg in a cold coop? Not Coco, after all, Chester uses the Chick Chalet as his play house. Everyone knows show girls do not like to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment