Monday, March 22, 2010

Zilla and his spa treatments


Zilla is our giant Buff Cochin rooster. He was the "free bird" sent in the first batch of egg laying chickens that I ordered. Right away he stuck out from the other peeps. He was huge yellow and fuzzy, very fuzzy. I didn't order any large yellow fuzzy chicks. Zilla grew and grew, filled out with more buttery yellow feathers then you could ever imagine and then grew some more. When he is on his tipi chicken toes, he is close to 3 feet tall. He is my special baby, spoiled and knows his name when called. If you have never seen a chicken run, you have missed out on the funniest sight you will ever see. Now add tons of fluffy feathers and make it a giant chicken, you're ready to laugh until you cry. Zilla runs to me for his treats, which he eats out of my hand, making a burr bah burring noise the whole time. He has always done this even though he takes his roostering very serious. When ever he can, my giant Zilla will sneak thru an open door and beg for treats.
Every time some one new meets Zilla, we get the "Do you wash your bird?", "Or do you groom him?" We always answer "Yes, why yes we do wash our bird". First I hop in the shower then Bruce hands me Zilla! His feathers are beautiful that's just Zilla he does not shower with me, duh.
This winter I knew we would have to take special care of his huge cocks comb and long wattles (those things hanging off his cheeks and that giant red thing on his head). They have to be rubbed down with petroleum jelly or antibiotic gel to keep them from freezing. The time came, it was very cold, and we had to slick down Zilla's parts. Once again, we are lucky, Zilla is very tame. He will almost do anything for a treat, you just call him and he comes a running. I snatch my giant fluff ball and bring him into the spa for a visit Lola and Zelda. He is always a good boy and usually never gives a struggle when you're holding him. We start rubbing him down, thoroughly. Talk about getting the stink eye, that eye said it all, Zilla could easily shred me to bits if he so desired.
While I have him, it's a good time to check him over. Chickens can easily have foot issues, it's always good to keep an eye on them or lose an eye trying. Zilla just laid there in my arms, not moving a muscle. What a good giant beast he is. I found several feathers on his feet that were causing a problem. Bruce holds Zilla while I get the pliers. Unfortunately if I do not pull out the quills of broken off feathers, they most likely will become infected. When this is done he gets an antibiotic gel rub down on his feet and olive oil on his legs. If I was only so lucky as Zilla!
When his facial and foot massage is finished we shared a few treats and off he stomped back to his girls. Up the sidewalk, shaking off his feathers, stomping his feet every other step he took.
Our poor baby moose did get a little frost bite but needless to say he does have beautiful skin just in time for spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment